I am an Army Sergeant Combat Correspondent. I served a tour in Afghanistan from Feb 09 to Feb 10 as part of the 4th Brigade 25th Infantry Division (Airborne). I am currently a CC at the US Army Pacific headquarters at Ft. Shafter, Hawaii. I was the 2009 DOD Military Videographer of the year and have been nominated for two Emmy's for documentaries I made while in Afghanistan.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

SSG Robert Ham named 2012 Videographer of the Year!

This month was the annual Department of Defense Visual Information Awards. This is a competition of all the services to determine the Military Photographer, Graphic Designer and Videographer of the year. To enter you need to be a service member on active, reserve or national guard status and the productions had to take place in 2012. There are six categories in Videography and then a Videographer of the year which consists of a portfolio of two categories (documentary or combat documentary and field production). I was named Videographer of the Year for my "Mass Casualty" story I shot in Japan (in the field production category) and my "Live Fire Range" story I shot in India (in the documentary category). This is my second Videographer of the Year award, I won in 2009 for my work during my Afghanistan deployment. Below are the links to all the winning videos. Note that many of these stories were edited shorter for the competition in order to fit the categories criteria.

First Place -  Field Production
(shortened from 5:30 to 4:00)



First Place - Feature
(shortened from 8:40 to 5:00)



Honorable Mention - Feature



First Place - Editing



Third Place - Editing



Second Place - Documentary
(Shortened from 4:00 to around 3:00)




I listened to almost all of the judging this year and saw 95% of the videos. These videos are some of the best I've ever seen in the military. There were so many that I thought were amazing. I was completely humbled by winning. In the Videographer of the Year category it came down to me and a Marine Corporal (whom I've never met). This Corporal's work was extraordinary and the judges were really going back and forth. I'm proud of this accomplishment even more knowing that I'm among many great military visual storytellers.

1 comment:

Abdul Bari Chanessra said...

This month was the annual Department of Defense Visual Information Awards. This is a competition of all the services to determine the Military Photographer, Graphic Designer and Videographer of the year. filmare nunta