I am an Army Sergeant Combat Correspondent. I served a tour in Afghanistan from Feb 09 to Feb 10 as part of the 4th Brigade 25th Infantry Division (Airborne). I am currently a CC at the US Army Pacific headquarters at Ft. Shafter, Hawaii. I was the 2009 DOD Military Videographer of the year and have been nominated for two Emmy's for documentaries I made while in Afghanistan.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Emmy Nomination for "Shamrock Black"

  So I received an Emmy nomination for my documentary "Shamrock Black" which happens to be one of my favorite stories that I produced in Afghanistan. I spent a lot of time in the hospital at my Forward Operating Base and had the privilege of getting to know the doctors and the staff there. These folks are the unsung heroes of wars. They see the worst that war has to offer and their success hinges on fixing the tragedies. My respect and gratitude hopefully shows through this film and am glad it's getting recognized mostly because these stories need to be seen by as many people as possible to help carry on the legacy of what these amazing people do. 
  When I was finished with this film I had a showing in my office in Afghanistan. I was expecting 5 maybe 10 people but practically the whole hospital staff came (those who were not working). The biggest compliment I received was after the film there was just silence, some sniffles, then they all applauded enthusiastically. It was a very moving experience because I felt in that moment I got their story right and for a storyteller that's what it's all about. God bless those doctor's, surgeons, nurses and all of the staff members that are expected to do the impossible and do.

If you haven't seen Shamrock Black check out parts 1 and 2. 

Part One - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTzb1iA1h8

Part Two - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5exkLltbQU

1 comment:

Tony in Hawaii said...

Wow dude that is awesome!